It wasn’t until college that I experienced the glory of puppy chow. A friend had a giant bag delivered in a care package and it barely lasted the day. There is nothing to dislike about the chocolately goodness, but I decided to take it a step further. Flavoring the mix with pumpkin butter and accompanying spices tailored the treat to be a seasonal dish. Each bite had a hint of clove and nutmeg for the marriage of sweet with savory. See full recipe below.
- 9 cups Chex cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin Butter
- 1/2 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Reese’s Pieces
- Split cereal in half and put 4.5 cups in one bowl and 4.5 cups in another bowl. Set aside.
- In a pan, heat chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, and pumpkin butter. Stir frequently until melted. Add vanilla and pumpkin pie spice.
- Remove from heat and pour over the bowls of cereal until evenly coated. Pour each bowl into a gallon bag with 3/4 cup powdered sugar. Seal bag and shake until well coated.
- Pour chex into one bowl. Add Reese’s Pieces and mix well. Store in airtight containers.