3 cups flour
⅓ cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into ¼-inch pieces
½ cup milk (may need to add more)
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1-cup mashed banana
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Grease a large, heavy baking sheet with cooking spray and set it aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix until well combined.
4. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients with your fingers, or with a pastry cutter; rub until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
5. Make a well in the center and pour in milk, egg yolk, and vanilla.
6. Add mashed banana.
7. Using a wooden spoon, combine all the ingredients just until the dough comes together.
8. Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough five times.
9. Flatten ball into a disk; cut dough-ball into 8 wedges or rounds.
10. Put all the wedges on the baking sheet, leaving about ¼-inch space between them.
11. Bake the scones for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
12. Let cool for a few minutes and then transfer the scones to a wire rack.