The two mandatory ingredients for fall recipes in New England are apple and pumpkin. It’s sort of an unspoken rule that you will either cook with or heavily consume some variation of both. And while there’s no fighting tradition when it comes to a crosshatched crust, these apple pie egg rolls are likely next best. It would be a serious stretch to name them ‘asian fusion’ but I still kind of like that idea. With a crunchy exterior and whipped cream garnish these individual desserts will become a fast favorite.
use code “onebrassfox” for $10 off your next Susty Party order!
- 2 apples, 1 granny smith and 1 gala (about 2 heaping cups worth)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon all spice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 16 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM DIP
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- cinnamon, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Peel and chop up apples. Put chopped apples in a medium bowl and add remaining filling ingredients to bowl and stir together until well combined. Allow mixture to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Place one egg roll wrapper onto a clean surface. Using a clean finger, brush edges of the egg roll wrapper with egg wash.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of the filling across one side of the prepared egg roll wrapper. You do not want to over stuff these.
- Fold the sides over and brush with egg wash. Carefully roll filling tightly in the wrapper and press gently to seal.
- Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and coat with a thin layer of cooking spray. Repeat until all the filling and wrappers have been used.
- Bake egg rolls for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. During the last 5 minutes of cook time, pull out and brush with a little melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top. Put back in oven for remaining 5 minutes. Serve immediately with sweetened whipped cream.
TO MAKE SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM:
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream until it starts to thicken.
- As the mixture thickens, slowly add sugar until fully incorporated.
- Add vanilla and whip until stiff peaks form.