2 slices thick-cut Brioche (I went the ‘healthy’ route of multigrain)
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp brown sugar
Fleur de sel for sprinkling (I used Himalayan pink salt with fresh thyme)
1. Preheat your oven to 475°F/245°C.
2. Make a 1-in/2.5-cm hole in the center of each slice of bread.
3. In a large ovenproof sauté pan, melt the butter and add the bread; cook until brown. Flip the bread and carefully crack an egg into each hole. Quickly sprinkle each slice of bread, not the egg, with 1 tbsp brown sugar.
4. Immediately transfer to the oven to bake. Don’t try to brown the second side on the stove, that will happen all by itself in the oven. Bake until the egg white sets, but the yolk is quite runny, 6 to 8 minutes. But check your egg at 5 minutes, as a firm yolk ruins the pleasure of this simple dish.
5. Sprinkle lightly with fleur de sel.