With family spread around the country and friends all over the globe, gifting during the holiday season can seem pretty daunting. And the financial strain is hefty there, too. But quick and thoughtful edible treats are a perfect way to reach everyone on our list. We recently whipped a batch of these chocolate covered caramel popcorn balls to be postmarked for loved ones. The whimsical sprinkles, sweetness galore, and not-too-breakable packaging are simply delicious. See full recipe below.
Last year’s edible + sendable treat was boxes of spiced nuts.
- 14 cups popped plain popcorn
- 1 (11 oz.) package Caramel Candies, unwrapped
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 10 popsicle sticks
- 1 (12 oz.) package semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- cello bags
1. Place the popped popcorn in a large bowl and set aside
2. Place caramel candies and butter in a medium-sized saucepan; melt over medium-low heat and stir until smooth.
3. Remove from heat.
4. Pour over popcorn and mix until well coated. Let stand for a couple of minutes to cool.
5. While the caramel cools, melt chocolate chips in microwave or over double-boiler.
6. Grease hands with butter and shape the popcorn into a ball.
7. Place popsicle stick in each ball and dip into melted chocolate.
8. Quickly roll in sprinkles to coat.
9. Rest on waxed paper until chocolate is set.
10. Place each popcorn ball in a cello bag and tie with ribbon.